Thursday, November 18, 2010

What are you running from?....

Absolutely nothing. If anything I am running towards something...a new future that is just above the horizon on a beautiful sunset Arizona morning. My desktop picture on my computer is of a road somewhere in Arizona that seems endless. I envision it every time I run and when I stare at it on my computer wish I could just jump in and keep running on it. I took up running after what I describe as, "my life shattering before my eyes.” In a previous blog I described myself as “dramatic” which is essentially the truth in every case especially this one. In retrospect it was just an incident that has opened my eyes to many things and allowed me the ability to embrace running like I never had before. Along the way on this endless road I shed a piece of skin that is left over from the me I was before. What I love more about this photograph is that for obvious reasons you only see what is up ahead. Nothing prior to that spot is in the picture, leaving me to think of Forrest Gump and his quote on his reason for running: "You got to put the past behind you before you could move on. And I think that's what my running was all about." The past is behind the photographer and the road up ahead is the only thing significant. Nobody has to run away from anything you just put it behind you and move on. In my case I literally ran and I have kept up with my running. I will complete my official first half next month and a full marathon in Feb. I ran my first 13.1 miles last night and didn’t finish till 1 a.m. I won’t lie some still pent up emotions still exist, but I keep telling myself save it for the end. I am dedicated to running just as much as I was into putting all the pieces back together as fast as I could. When, I spoke previously about my life piecing together I truly mean it. I took up running because it allowed me to not think about all the things that were going on in my life. It cleansed my mind and body unlike anything ever has. The main concern was just finishing up the mile up ahead and the accomplishment was all the tracks I left behind much like my life. I decided to do a marathon and coincidently it was in February. To put it in a nut shell it was when everything “went down” a year ago. I have been shedding a lot of skin through miles and miles of dirt, road, and grass. I will mark the day that I end that race as my final stage to the end of my shedding of skin and the last tears I will cry over that incident. I have not been running from anything but instead running towards everything that is up ahead. In February rest assure that the endless road will come to an end because that chapter will be done. I am sure there will be another road that I will have to run that seemingly endless journey sometime. Until, then I will just enjoy the scenery and my new self.

No comments:

Post a Comment