Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Prodigy

 So I know to say that "my prodigy is here" is saying way too much. One: because I do not know much of her abilities, but seem to think she is as astute as I was. Second: because implying that I am extrordinary is baffling yet to go with my "dramatica" nature I will go with it. The reason I bring this up is because I am training a new employee in my department. I will hopefully be getting promoted to a full-time position soon and I have nobody in my department that seems to be the least bit interested in it. I would like to leave someone in the postition that is willing to take as much care of it as I have in the past. Along, with that I would want someone to take my place that my boss does not have to babysit, in all honesty someone just like me. Well, low and behold in come this 18 yr old Latina straight out of high school yesterday to be a replacement. I was at first going to have her train with one of my employees but instead opted to make sure I train her myself. I sat down with her and she reminded me of myself when I first started at the company. Not only that, call me crazy, but I would like to say this is like an omen. She shares the same birthday as me, to many this not be a big deal but when I was first trained at the position she will be doing I had a trainer that shared my same birthday. He was a great employee and then tried to advance to be the supervisor of our department, which is the position I now hold. Many things conspired where he did not get the position because of favoritism. Things then fell into place and he accepted a job at another company. Yet, he left me with all the knowledge I can possibly hold to do a good job at what I was to do for the next 7 years. I do not know if I am jumping the gun, which I most often do, but I really do feel the hunger in her eyes to do a good job. Especially yesterday when I had her watch a computer based training video which included a quiz. I told her she didn't have to do the quiz, but she did it to challenge herself. She was halfway through the training when I stopped her and all the questions that she already answered had been correct. I will be training her out in the operation today, I am really excited but not only because of her. It seems like everything in my life has been turned upside down this year. But little by little things have unraveled to something that keeps getting better and better. This is part of that process, in which I am going to be leaving something behind again but will be at peace because I know it will be in good hands. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment