Wednesday, October 12, 2011

First purple running toe….



So I have received my first purple running toe! It will probably lead to my first lost toenail, which happens to most runners. I am utterly excited about this tells me I am still an official runner. Due to this purple toe I have gained a new perspective that has made me realize I need to get in gear. The determination that I had before is almost nonexistent. I enjoy running but my pace time as decreased and my yearning to run varies from day to day. It is like pulling teeth trying to get me to run now. I tell myself I will run in the morning then I wake up and decide to go at night. By that time I am exhausted from working all day I put it off till the next day and the vicious cycle begins.
This purple toe was the cause of running on the treadmill for 10 miles without socks. I needed to train for the Chicago Half Marathon, forgot my socks and I knew that if I went home to get them I would not come out. So there I was with no socks at the gym and the only option was to run. So I ended up with a purple toe and here I am looking down at it and realizing that the toe was due to forgetfulness and not for hard work. For that I am extremely shameful. I don’t want to say I got my first purple toe because I am an idiot but because I trained for something I really enjoy.
I still really enjoy running. If I had more time and if my two jobs weren’t taking up all my time I would run more often. Of course I have always had two jobs and running was my ultimate 3rd job for a long time. Yet, now something has changed. The pain is gone and happiness is what has replaced it. I always said I am extremely thankful for what running did to me. I vowed to never stop running because I only saw one way to give back for what it did to me, and that is to keep running.
I ran yesterday morning and I struggled. I don’t like that feeling. It’s a shame I ran 13.1 miles in 1:57 and cannot do 3 miles in less than 30 minutes. I look down at my toe and I feel it throbbing and saying to me what a sorry excuse for a runner I am. Although, it is also probably begging for a new pair of shoes, which is something else I definitely need to work on. I vow now and to anyone reading this that I will not have this purple toe in vain. I shall remain running from now on. I will go to my room when I get home and write on my bathroom mirror, “Purple toe not in vain” to remind me when I am trying to be lazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment