Friday, June 3, 2011

Backfire....



I am not going to deny that I would think my ideal match would be with a Latino man. The culture is similar and it is just so easy to fuse life together.  I won’t tell you that when I see a brown skinned man I turn my head the other way. With that said I thought I had it all figured out. Tamales for Christmas, our children would have Hispanic names, and the walls echoing with Spanish at parties. I never gave anyone of other cultures a chance because that is how I wanted my life to be. I didn’t want anything to ruin my ability to pass on the traditions of my culture. The struggling stories of how our ancestors came to the U.S.  and telling stories of La LLorona  in our native language. Then, it backfired.
I met this incredible Caucasian man. I have never dated a white guy because I have never been interested to see what they have to offer. If a white man passed right next to me I would not even bother to look. Yet, I will say that nobody has intrigued me more than he has.  I cannot begin to explain to you when this happened. It wasn’t right away, since this is not what I wanted I figured it would just be nice to hang out with this guy. I put him off a couple of times because I couldn’t get through the notion of wasting anyone’s time.  To me even having a drink is suggestive that you may be interested. I didn’t want any part of that. Then, I figured this was just going to be something I could have a good time with and nothing more. Then tell me how this turned into a relationship that has so far lasted 10 months!!! 
I have come to the realization that the reason why I adore him so much is not because he is white. It’s because he makes me laugh and that is the reason this has been able to flourish into what it is now. The first night we talked we literally talked until the sun came up about life, our beliefs, and work. He would of course tell you he doesn’t remember, but that’s another story. I have never been able to communicate with anyone on that level before. Most often the question has been among friends as to who talks the most and I would definitely have to say him, but I do not mind I can listen to him for hours.
Recently, we have become closer and closer. I revealed to him that he was not what I was expecting to be with but I am so happy he is here. And I truly am happy he is here with me. I have never received so much support, care and laughter from anyone thus far. If you see us together you would think that we are two dorks living in a nutty world full of SNATCH and Napoleon Dynamite quotes. He is my best friend and I can tell him everything under the sun. He does judge occasionally but it’s all in good fun.
There was a point in our life where we hit a “snatch” and we adjusted and got back on track. It hurts me to think that if we would have let that go we never would have realized what our life leading up to this point would be like. As we discussed that recently I think we have found a sense of security with each other. I have received more kisses and more winks than ever before. It is getting harder and harder to leave him in bed when I leave to work in the morning. And his white skin, blonde hair (with a mixture of grays), and blue eyes are the only thing I daydream about all day. He really threw me for a loop, but I am glad he did. I can’t tell you what the future holds because I have learned to expect the unexpected. I can only hope that I will continue waking up in his arms and get pleasure of serving him meals that don’t include any vegetables.
Epic Backfire *face palm*

No comments:

Post a Comment